25 and 27 Feb 2018, 7.30 – 9.30 pm
From the organizer:
Six Space would like to invite you to a workshop that paves the ways for perception and appreciation of music, in particular: contemporary music and sounds around you.
Part 1. Discussions with the duo Siedl/Cao:
– Brief presentation of the works created by duo Siedl Cao, and their artistic approach.
– How to listen to and perceive music in general
– How to perceive classical music, contemporary, experimental, improvised music
– How we can otherwise listen to sounds around us
– Ways of perceiving a live performance
The workshop’s goal is to give the participants an access to get closer to music and to appreciate, feel and understand it. At the workshop, examples such as videos and recordings of influential artists will be shown, and their socio-political and musical contexts will be provided.
Part 2. Hands-on experience:
Participants will experience improvising with concepts and structures in groups to help them understand contemporary music better. The results will be presented at a closing concert.
WHAT YOU DO/DON’T NEED:
1. You can bring your instruments (can be non-musical instruments such as toys, balloons, torch, book, etc.) and be ready to play!
2. You do NOT need to know how to read music
3. This workshop is primarily for (but not limited to) musicians. If you are a dancer, a live video artist, an actor, etc. you are also invited to participate, as the conducting languages pertain to many artistic disciplines and facets.
4. Understanding English is preferred, but not essential
5. Proficiency with an instrument (or in another discipline of your choice) is preferred, but not essential
6. Interest in experimental music/art is a plus
Spaces are limited, so sign up early if you can!
SESSION 1 – Sunday, February 25th : 7.30PM – 9.30PM
SESSION 2 – Tuesday, February 27th : 7.30PM – 9.30PM
* TO REGISTER, PLEASE FILL THIS FORM
The closing concert, entitled “Music + …” will take place on Wednesday, February 28th: 8PM – 10PM
(Please attend both sessions if you want to performance at the concert!)
Follow updates on the event’s page
The duo Siedl/Cao, consisting of musicians Cao Thanh Lan (Vietnam) and Gregor Siedl (Austria), is a composer-performer ensemble that ranges in the field between composition, improvisation, performance and live sound-installation. In their recent works they explore electro-acoustic sound as means of expression and reflect on performative aspects of a live concert situation.
Translated by Hanoi Grapevine
| Six Space|
6th floor, 94B Tran Hung Dao, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi