Wed 22 May 2019, 6 – 9 pm (door opens at 6 pm and screening starts at 7 pm)
3rd floor, Toong 08 Trang Thi, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi
2nd floor, Toong 126 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, District 3, HCMC
From the organizers:
What happens when violence and desire crash into each other? In a world with the comfort of materialism and emotionless minds, what would people do to satisfy their obsessions?
“Crash” by David Cronenberg is a controversial movie. Director Tran Anh Hung, one of the jury members of Cannes Film Festival 1996, said “To me, ‘Crash’ deserves to win the Palme d’Or. However only two out of ten members of the jury liked this film, one being me. I fought to convince everyone to award a Special Jury Prize to this movie. For me, ‘Crash’ is not only the best film at Cannes that year, is also the best work of Cronenberg. It is a modern masterpiece of human mental disorders, a path to freedom we crave, but blocked by society and morality.”
“Crash” was based on the novel of the same name by J. G. Ballard, first published in 1973. Several other works by this English author were also made into movies, including “Empire of the Sun” (1987, directed by Steven Spielberg) and “High-Rise” (2015, directed by Ben Wheatley).
Watch the trailer:
The event will take place at the same time at Toong Trang Thi (Hanoi) and Toong 126 Minh Khai (HCMC).
* David Cronenberg is famous for horror movies with sci-fi elements such as Scanner (1981), Videodrome (1983), The Fly (1986)… Later own, his works are more diverse in subjects and genres, focusing on disturbing psychological aspects hidden behind the cold picture of society. As Roger Ebert said: “David Cronenberg is a master filmmaker, whose films sometimes fail to reverberate with me, but whose genius cannot be denied.”
* Film director Tran Anh Hung is known as a filmmaker who breaks through traditional framework with aesthetics and a fine blend of philosophy, beauty and sophisticated emotions. He is known for The Scent of Green Papaya (1993), Cyclo (1994), The Vertical Ray of the Sun (2000). His other works include Norwegian Wood (2010), Eternity (2016).
* Flashback Now is a cinema event showing classic movies of world cinema through the eye of Tran Anh Hung, a prominent member of Toong community.
Not for audience aged under 18.
The film will be shown with English subtitles
– Event is limited to 40 participants
– Fee: 50.000 VND / person
– Register here
– Confirmation email will be sent on Tuesday 21 May – please check your Promotion / Spam box.
▪ The event is supported by Hanoi Grapevine
Follow updates on the event page