Opening: Sat 20 Jan 2018, 6 pm
Exhibition: 20 Jan – 25 Mar 2018 (Tue – Sun), 10 am – 8 pm
Closed for Tet holiday: 15 – 19 Feb 2018
Talk show: Sat 27 Jan 2018, 10 am – 12 pm
Minishow “Stories – Hoang Dung”: Sun 28 Jan 2018, 6 – 8 pm
Vincom Center for Contemporary Art (VCCA)
B1 floor, R3, Vincom Megamall Royal city, 72 Nguyen Trai, Hanoi
From the organizers:
“Diary of a Cricket – Touch the worlds” will bring the characters in the literature masterpiece “Diary of a Cricket” by the late Vietnamese author To Hoai to life with 3D pop-up illustrations, figurines and original sketches.
To celebrate the life of author To Hoai and his work “Diary of a Cricket”, the production team of the event has developed a collections of drafts, prints, illustrations of the story since its first publication. With these documents of To Hoai’s characters, the exhibition will be a link between the audiences’ feelings, childhood dreams and memories.
The exhibition presents illustrations of “Diary of a Cricket” by many generations of artists, including:
– Ta Huy Long – main illustrator of Kim Dong Publishing House – a famous figure in the visual art scene in the northern regions of Vietnam as well as in the whole country. He was one of those who were praised for his contribution to the national art world in 2017.
– Ngo Manh Lan – illustrator for the Russian edition of “Diary of a Cricket”
– Truong Qua – A famous name in the southern regions as well as one of the illustrators who designed the first editions of “Diary of a Cricket”.
– Thanh Chuong – an artist well-known for his works in the national and international art scene.
– Vu Xuan Hoan – artist, art editor at Kim Dong Publishing House.
– Dau Dua (Dau Thi Ngoc Vinh) – an artist born in 1992 with a lovely drawing style.
On Jan 27, Ta Huy Long and other artists will have a discussion with the public on the journey of creating illustrations for “Diary of a Cricket”. On weekends, there will be free watercolor paintings and paper art classes for kids (every Saturday night except during the Lunar New Year holiday), and a mini show of contemporary songs by young artists Hoang Dung, Tuan Phuong, Dang Tuan Phong, etc.
Follow updates on the event page.
Translated by Hanoi Grapevine