PURE GOLD Hanoi Workshop – Call for participants
Deadline for applications: Mar 05 2019
From the organizer:
ifa (Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen – Institute for Foreign Cultural Relations), in collaboration with the Goethe-Institut in Hanoi and Heritage Space are honored to announce the open call for participants to the Pure Gold Workshop in Hanoi which will take place from April 1 to April 4 at Heritage Space.
Deadline for applications: March 05, 2019
Successful applicants will be notified by: March 18, 2019
Global industrialisation and ever greater levels of consumption make upcycling an urgent matter, and ifa is therefore addressing this issue in a design exhibition, a platform, workshops and conferences. The design exhibition Pure Gold – Upcycled! Upgraded! initiated by ifa is an international touring exhibition presenting 76 pieces by 53 designers from 7 regions in the world at 20 venues over the period of 10 years.
The next Pure Gold Exhibition to take place in Hanoi from April 6 to May 12 aims to raise public awareness of the country’s environmental and waste issues as well as share ideas of creating product designs upon alternative materials with sustainable production costs and lower consumption of natural resources, while at the same time expressing innovative design aesthetics.
As a part of Pure Gold Exhibition in Hanoi, ifa in cooperation with the Goethe-Institut Hanoi and Heritage Space invites local designers, craftsmen, producers, makers, artists and students to join a workshop to share their ideas for upcycling which results in shape of instructables on Pure Gold online platform (http://puregold.ifa.de/instructables), as a further level for discussion and knowledge. We welcome well-known ideas or their own mature ideas or still unfinished ones. Complicated or very simple. Reasonable ideas or crazy ones.
– Day 01 (April 01) Sharing: Everyone brings an idea and the materials and donates them to the workshop.
– Day 02 (April 02) Hacking: All the participants can take the ideas of others and change them in a cross-over, branch out and link them with their own or new ideas.
– Day 03 (April 03) Storytelling: Each finished idea should be shown in a short, exciting story in a stop motion video clip. The videos are recorded in team-work in the simplest way with our mobile phones
– Day 04 (April 04) Instructable Production: This day is needed for the actual recording/production of the instructables on site.
Who should apply:
Applications are open to designers, craftsmen, producers, makers, artists and students who are living in Vietnam to share their ideas for recycling and upcycling
The applications must be written either in Vietnamese or English and include the following documents:
1. Curriculum vitae
Please send us a curriculum vita with full contact details, details of your education and an overview of your activities regarding recycling and upcycling themes (to be type-written in Microsoft Word document, or PDF)
2. Letter of motivation
Please describe your motivation for participating in the workshop in a maximum of 1 page. Please also specify which recycling and upcycling idea in terms of material, design and function you would like to implement during three days of the workshop (to be type-written in Microsoft Word document, or PDF)
Applicants are encouraged to include up to three (03) photos of their work or sketches of ideas. The images will be in .jpeg format, at size of minimum 3MB;
Please send us a short portfolio that gives an insight into your previous recycling and upcycling works. (to be type-written in Microsoft Word document, or PDF)
An instructable video arranged and recorded during the worksop to be shared on Pure Gold online platform (http://puregold.ifa.de/instructables) & Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/ifa_puregold/)
Number of participants: 15-20
Benefits of the workshop:
– Financing of arrival and departure expenses for non-Hanoi participants
– Provision of accommodation for the time of workshop for non-Hanoi participants
– Opportunity to share your works on Pure Gold global online platform (http://puregold.ifa.de/instructables)
– Networking with designers, craftsmen, producers, makers, artists and students who work on recycling and upcycling
The selection will be made by the Goethe-Institut Hanoi and ifa.
– Axel Kufus – Platform Curator
– Lapatsch/Unger – Instructable Directors
– Pham Ut Quyen – Program Manager at Heritage Space
The judges’ decision is final and not subject to appeal.
Successful applicants will receipt a notification via email no later than March 18, 2019