Sat 26 Oct 2019, 8 – 10 pm
51 Tran Hung Dao Str, Hanoi
The British Council in Vietnam, Scottish Documentary Institute and TPD Centre for Development of Movie Talents are delighted to present a showcase screening of five short films developed throughout the FAMLAB x STORIES creative documentary workshop. The workshop forms part of the FAMLAB strand of Heritage of Future Past, a Cultural Heritage for Inclusive Growth project in Vietnam.
Running between 15–25 October and adapting the Stories model developed by Scottish Documentary Institute, FAMLAB x STORIES works with 16 emerging Vietnamese filmmakers – as well as musicians and sound artists – to celebrate the lives of five female traditional music practitioners of Hanoi.
Linked by their connection to folk music and traditions, the lives and destinies of the five main characters, nevertheless, could not be more different from each other’s. Moving beyond both the confines of music documentaries and the parameters of character portraits, the films shed light onto nuanced and often-overlooked stories of memory, identity and heritage (across cultural, collective and personal dimensions), at the same time exploring how these elements co-interact within the fabric of 21st-century life in the 8-million-people capital city, and in so doing engendering new acts of ‘civil resistance’.
At the core, the philosophical questions: Why do we do what we do? And what does it mean to be human?
Following this beginning, we hope that the films – and the conversations they initiate – will enjoy an extensive life thereafter in various international contexts and sites.
* Workshop participants: Nguyễn Hiền Anh / Trần Hoài Anh / Nguyễn Diệp Thùy Anh / Hồ Minh Châu / Đỗ Quang Dũng / Trần Mai Khánh Hà / Trịnh Thu Hà / Nguyễn Thị Thu Hương / Nguyễn Diệu Linh / Nguyễn Ngọc Thảo Ly / Nguyễn Đức Minh / Lê Thu Minh / Đào Thị Bích Ngọc / Phạm Ánh Sáng / Nguyễn Phương Thảo / Nguyễn Thanh Toàn / Lý Hà Trang / Vũ Kiều Trang / Huỳnh Kim Khánh Trân / Nguyễn Anh Tuấn / Nguyễn Thị Thanh Vân
* Workshop facilitators: Noe Mendelle (Director, Scottish Documentary Institute) / Yasmin Fadden (independent documentary film-maker)
* TPD co-ordinators: Nguyễn Hoàng Phương / Đào Linh Trang
* Music advisor: Nguyễn Xuân Sơn (sound artist and expert in traditional Vietnamese music)
* All films will screen with subtitles in English
* A Q&A session with all film-makers and various characters from the films will take place following the screening.
Please register in advance via here.
Follow updates on event’s page
| Centre for Assistance and Development of Movie Talents|
51 Tran Hung Dao Str (4th floor), Hanoi Tel: 024 3936 6559
Email: [email protected]