From the organizer:
Sàn Art is an artist initiated, non-profit contemporary art organization committed to the exchange and excavation of cultural knowledge within an interdisciplinary community. Founded in 2007 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, Sàn Art set out to fill the gap in access and opportunity for local artistic practices by engaging with contemporary discourse through the visual arts, literature, performance and vocational activities such as exhibition, lecture, workshop, and residency programs, in conjunction with local and international partners. Our public Reading Room holds the most extensive resources on contemporary art in Ho Chi Minh City. Sàn Art works with external partners in locating space to showcase exhibitions of the diverse talent of Vietnam and beyond.
We are now looking for a full-time Curator/Director to lead Sàn Art with its onward focus on education. The ideal candidate is one who has a strong portfolio in initiating and directing activities, preferably in Global South context, and with a keen sense to build community capacity on less concrete infrastructure for the arts. She/He will curate, direct and facilitate all San Art programs including the first dedicated Curatorial Training in Vietnam from 2018.
The position reports to Sàn Art Board of Directors.
Key roles and responsibilities:
– Facilitate ‘Sàn Art Curatorial Training Program’ together with Sàn Art Directors and Management Staff, and Program Advisor(s).
– Initiate and direct all education programs in the creation of lectures, workshops, and interventions engaging contemporary international art discourse from a local perspective; together with Sàn Art Management Staff, seeking local educational partners to co-host/co-sponsor
– Curate Sàn Art exhibitions, researches, exchanges and residency when applicable
Provide the writing of essential texts for education, promotion, publication (online and in print) and exhibition
– In discussion with Sàn Art Directors and Advisors, direct quality curatorial vision and management of Sàn Art activities/premises with clear focus on education
– Assess and create methods in which Sàn Art can maintain financial stability in the long term as an organization seeking to focus on non-profit artistic activities, including grant writing and sponsorship seeking.
– Oversee the liaison with key individuals and organizations in increasing the visibility of Sàn Art activities via promotion, partnership, exchange or sponsorship, both locally and abroad
– Based on Sàn Art current network, develop further strategic relationships and partnerships with individuals and organizations to position a larger platform of dialogue and exhibition opportunities between the local and international artistic community concerning the development of contemporary Vietnamese art
– Manage Sàn Art reading room, seeking ways to increase its breadth by way of donation or sponsorship from local and international organizations and individuals
– Maintain necessary cataloguing and archiving of Sàn Art events (eg. curatorial manual; mailing list upkeep; reading room list upkeep; storage catalogue and regular stock-take etc)
Remuneration shall be discussed with short-listed candidate(s). Official start date will be between 1 to 45 days from acceptance of offer.
To apply, please send your updated CV, your portfolio of selected projects, and a cover letter to [email protected], titled: ‘Application: Curator/Director position’
Should you have any inquiry, please email [email protected], titled ‘Inquiry: Curator/Director position’